Caspofungin is a lipopeptide antifungal drug. It is a member of the class of the antifungal known as echinocandins. Caspofungin is the first inhibitor of fungal (1→3)-β-D-glucan synthesis to be approved by USFDA. Caspofungin is administered intravenously. Caspofungin is used to treat fungal infections that involve the stomach, lungs, esophagus, or other internal body areas.
|Product||Active Ingredient(s)||Strength||Features||Dosage Form|
• It is the first in class echinocandin
• Optimum therapy for invasive fungal infections
• Caspofungin has excellent tolerability
• FDA approved for pediatric patients
• Can be used as an empirical therapy