Faropenem is the only oral penem antibiotic currently available & it is a hybrid compound that exhibit similarities to both penicillin & cephalosporin. Faropenem is an attractive treatment option for community acquired infections & can be used as an empirical therapy. It is the modern and promising approach to rationalize use of antimicrobials in hospital. Can be used as step down therapy for carbapenem and cephalosporin.
|Product||Active Ingredient(s)||Strength||Features||Dosage Form|
• The only oral penem available
• Active against various Gram +ve, Gram –ve & anaerobes
• Faropenem is stable against almost all β-lactamases
• Broader spectrum than penicillin & cephalosporin’s
• Can be used as an empirical therapy